Forgot Password? Join Us!

General Car Chat For all general car-related chat

Old 31st May 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
swickle09
vectra-sport Newbie

Drives: Vectra Design Editio
Fault Code 0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Malfunction

Hey all,

This is my first post so be gentle with me.

I have got a 2000 (w) reg Vectra 2 litre Design Edition.

My EML has been on intermintantly for a couple of weeks now, but has started to stay on permanantly, So, on the advice of the "How to" section in this forum i tried the paper clip test, and i have got an the following error code,

0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Can somebody tell me what this means in English, and what i should be doing/replacing to solve the problem.

I would like to sort it out myself if possible as i cannot afford to get ripped of by a garage, or i would at least like to arm myself with the right information so i can tell the garage what i want not the other way round.

Your help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Pete
swickle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
daves_veccy
Rust Engineer

Drives: A wallet sucker!
Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,715 Posts
Thats a common one for the X20XEV engine. The camshaft sensor or its wiring is shot. Its the sensor which its wiring plug pokes out where the spark plug cover is. You will also find the revs are limited to 3.5k rpm.

Something i've found, if it doesn't have the modified type sensor then its usually the wiring plug and wiring very close by although it doesn't rule out the sensor not being duff.

A modified type costs £65 from Vauxhall and it comes with everything you need to convert it (sensor, plug and terminals). This type gets fitted everytime i diagnose a cam sensor fault as it usually fixes the problem.

To determine if its a modified type, remove the plug cover, unplug the wiring plug and then see if its either retangle (old type) or oval (modified type).

As for changing it, as long as you have some tools you can do it within an hour yourself. You will need male and female torx tools to undo some of the bolts though.

my method is to remove the complete airbox, remove the stabliser mount and then remove all the bolts that hold the timing cover in place. Prise this towards the wing to access the torx bolt which secures it to the head. Once this is undone, use the wiring plug to extract the cam sensor from the hole in the head

fitting is the same a reverse.

The wiring is simple, just match the wires like for like beneath the plastic cover thats above the fuel injectors using the connectors supplied but wrap them indiviually with some insulation tape to prevent short circuiting.

If you already have the modified type fitted then all of the above is the same except the wiring part
daves_veccy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daves_veccy For This Useful Post:
swickle09 (2nd June 2009)
Old 8th September 2009, 12:04 PM   #3
swickle09
vectra-sport Newbie

Drives: Vectra Design Editio
0335 Error Code

Hi,

Got the above problem sorted out now have the following prob,

on doing the paperclip test i get error code 0335 which is crankshaft position sensor A malfunction, can anyone shed some light onto what this actually means, do i need to replace the camshaft sensor again??

Thanks

Pete
swickle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
daves_veccy
Rust Engineer

Drives: A wallet sucker!
Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,715 Posts
the crank sensor is lower down on the engine and is a different sensor to the cam sensor

I had P0335 a few weeks ago and the car cut out. I undone the wiring connector, sprayed some contact cleaner onto the pins and then plugged it back together. Touch wood the light hasn't come on again since.

To trace that wiring plug, follow the wire other wire that goes over the cam cover towards the back of the engine and you should find the plug behind the air trunking. This is also another known problem for the wiring to go brittle, what can happen is all the insultation comes off so the wires short to the engine or which can cause the fuel injection relay wiring to overheat and catch fire.
daves_veccy is offline   Reply With Quote